Following the first recorded case of Influenza A (H1N1), otherwise called Swine Flu in Nigeria, the Federal Government said there is no cause for panic, assuring that all Nigerians would be protected from the pandemic.
The Federal Ministry of Health had announced on Wednesday that the case was reported in Nigeria of a nine-year-old female American girl residing in Lagos.
In a statement by his Special Assistant on Communications, Mr. Niyi Ojuolape, the Minister of Health, Professor Babatunde Osotimehin said the girl had presented flu-like symptoms of fever, sore throat, nasal congestion and nausea to the American Consular clinic in Lagos and before treatment was started, nasal specimens were taken for routine testing.
“Subsequently, the girl recovered fully with symptomatic treatment after five days of duration of illness”, he said, adding. “Further to checks in this regard, it has been confirmed that the father, brother and all school contacts of the girl did not suffer from any flu-like symptoms and they are all well. The mother had mild symptoms but recovered fully”.
“All other contacts have been tested and they have been found negative to the Influenza A(H1N1). No other school pupil or person in the girl’s school has flu-like symptoms or is absent from school because of any illness.
“The Lagos State Ministry of Health, where the instant case occurred is aware of the case and further contact tracing, screening and active surveillance carried out by the state has shown that there is no other reported case so far.
“The Federal Ministry of Health and all the states’ ministries of health have strengthened their preparedness and response plans and have put in place enhanced surveillance to pick up and contain any case that may occur. Indeed, all 36 states’ epidemiologists are currently meeting in Kaduna to fine-tune the country’s coordinated response to possible outbreaks of epidemics.
“To arrest any eventuality, the Federal Ministry of Health has prepositioned in all the 36 states and FCT, adequate quantities of Tamiflu, the anti-viral drug for treatment and other medical supplies for containment of cases of the Influenza”, the statement read.
Osotimehin added that the ministry had also strengthened and intensified expanded public awareness and sensitisation campaigns to improve public awareness and knowledge about the pandemic in order to further prevent or contain the influenza pandemic.
While informing that the Federal Government was making efforts to procure vaccines in conjunction with the World Health Organisation (WHO), he stressed the need for routine precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases like hands’ washing with soap and water, nose and mouth covering while sneezing or coughing.
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment